When our family travels, we like to save money. The money that we save on our meals is then used towards our activities and souvenirs.
Here are 19 great tips that you can use while traveling to save money on all of your food and beverage expenses. Most of these tips can be utilized no matter where you may be traveling to.
1. Bring snacks and bottled water with you.
2. Buy snacks & beverages from grocery stores. Avoid buying them from vending machines and convenience stores.
3. Fill up your empty water bottles with tap water.
4. Look online for money-saving dining & food coupons for the area you will be visiting. Print them out & take along with you.
5. Take advantage of free food and beverages that are offered by your hotel. (continental breakfasts, tea/coffee time, etc.)
6. Ask your hotel for money-saving meal vouchers & discount deals to local eateries and establishments.
7. Dine at locations that are away from the major tourist attractions.
8. Avoid buying room service which is highly marked up in price.
9. Look for BOGO (buy one get one) dining deals.
10. Look for Kid's Eat Free dining deals when traveling with children.
11. Order take-out and pick-up instead of delivery.
12. Use cash instead of credit and debit cards.
13. When dining out, take all of your left-overs back to your room in a carry-out box (dog box).
14. Grab free samples of food & beverages when they are offered.
15. When dining out, ask for the Manager's daily specials.
16. Avoid ordering extra add-on's like condiments, appetizers, sides and desserts.
17. Dine at establishments that offer free beverage refills.
18. If you have a traveler's discount card or senior's discount card, utilize it while dining out.
19. Consider purchasing 'ready-to-eat' meals from the local grocery store. Often times you can buy pizza, subs, roasted whole chicken, salads, etc. for 1/2 the price of local restaurants.