With summer in full swing and July 4th right around the corner, it is now the time for increased travel. With the increase in relaxation, adventure and fun in the sun, our health tends to take a backseat. Whether you’re headed to fish on the lake or sit on a sandy beach, Dr. Wayne Andersen, Medical Director for Take Shape for Life and author of the bestselling book “Dr. A’s Habits of Health,” wants to keep you on track with some of his healthy travel tips.
* Before you pack, be sure to ask the hotel if they have a gym or pool and bring appropriate clothes to get some exercise. (No excuses!)
* Bring healthy snacks for the road / plane. Items like Medifast Crunch Bars are great options because they’re satisfying, portable and contain less sodium and calories than airplane snacks or fast food options.
* Drink lots of water. Any sort of traveling is taxing on the body and you’ll want to keep hydrated.
* Remember that alcohol will let down your defenses and is full of empty calories and carbs! It is best to choose club soda or a diet drink with your meals.
* Make healthy choices. Some days you may have to have both lunch and dinner out, so make the best of it and choose wisely.
* Order a salad and appetizer for you main meal. It will most likely be the proper portion.
* Remember to bring your journal to jot down both memories from the trip as well as what you ate to help you keep track of calories.